19. How many permanent teeth have erupted?
20. How many permanent teeth are present on the mandible?
21. The examination technique in which the examiner uses his or her fingers and hands to feel for the size, texture, and consistency of hard and soft tissue is called:
22. A patient’s pulse rate may be decreased because of:
23. Most local anesthetic agents used for dental procedures are:
24. In the United States, nitrous oxide gas lines are color coded, _______ and oxygen lines are color coded _______.
25. The dental assistant’s responsibility in an emergency situation is to:
26. A condition called _________ will result if an alginate impression absorbs additional water by being stored in water or in a very wet paper towel.
27. _________ may be applied to the edge of the alginate trays to improve the fit of the tray.
28. The water-to-powder ratio generally used for a mandibular impression is _______ measures of water, and _____ scoops of powder.
29. The term _________ means to move the tooth back and forth within the socket.
30. ____________ forceps are designed to grasp the bifurcation of the root of a mandibular molar.
31. When a blood clot is dislodged because of the exertion of forces such as sucking on a straw and as a result the patient experiences extreme discomfort, it is referred to as:
32. The retromolar pad is reproduced in the ___________ impression.
33. Which of the following instruments would be used to measure the depth of the gingival sulcus?
34. Which of the following instruments has sharp, round, angular tips used to detect tooth anomalies?
35. Which instrument is commonly used to scale surfaces in the anterior region of the mouth?
36. Which instrument is used to scale deep periodontal pockets or furcation areas?
37. In the drawing below, which area stabilizes the clamp to the tooth?
38. When the operator is working in the labial of tooth #9, the HVE tip is held:
39. A right-handed dentist is doing a preparation on #30 MO. The dental assistant places the HVE tip:
40. The angle of the bevel of the HVE top should always be:
41. The cement that has a sedative effect on the pulp is known as:
42. A wooden wedge is placed in the gingival embrasure area for Class II restorations to accomplish all except which of the following?
43. Which of the following techniques could be used for caries removal?
44. Select the instrument that will be used to carve the distal surface of an amalgam restoration placed on 30DO.
45. From the photograph below, select the instrument that would be used to attach to the rubber dam clamps.
46. Which part of an anesthetic syringe differs in an aspirating and nonaspirating syringe?
47. What is a contraindication for a patient using a gingival retraction cord that is impregnated with epinephrine?
48. Which instrument would be used to check for an overhang on a newly placed restoration?
49. Which of the following instruments would be the least likely to be used for placing a cavity liner?
50. Which of the following instruments is a Hedstrom file?
51. The purpose of acid etching a tooth when using a composite restorative is:
52. Which of the following would be used for smoothing the interproximal surface in a composite procedure?
53. Which endodontic instrument is used to curette the inside of the tooth to the base of the pulp chamber?
54. The indication for pit and fissure sealants is when teeth:
55. A finger rest that stabilizes the hand to lessen possibility of slipping or traumatizing the tissue in the mouth is known as a ______________.
56. _______________ is the form of anesthetic that renders the patient unconscious.
57. A tooth that has been avulsed has been:
58. The time from when the local anesthetic takes complete effect until the complete reversal of anesthesia is the _____ of the anesthetic agent.
59. The lengths of the needles used in dentistry for local anesthesia administration are:
60. The stage of anesthesia when the patient passes through excitement and becomes calm, feels no pain or sensation, and soon becomes unconscious is referred to as stage ___ of anesthesia.
61. The most common type of attachment for fixed orthodontic appliances is the:
62. When a health contraindication is present that prevents the use of a vasoconstrictor, the retraction cord is impregnated with _______, and the cord may have a_______ agent applied to it to control bleeding.
63. A(n) __________ is present when the maxillary teeth are positioned lingually to the mandibular teeth either unilaterally or bilaterally.
64. What instrument is used in ligating an arch wire?
65. A tray is set up from:
66. A periodontal probe is an example of which type of instrument?
67. Most local anesthetic agents used for dental procedures are:
68. In the United States, nitrous oxide gas lines are color coded _____, and oxygen lines are color coded _______.
69. Which of the following instruments is used to measure the depth of the gingival sulcus?
70. Which of the following instruments has sharp, round, angular tips used to detect tooth anomalies?
71. Which instrument is commonly used to scale surfaces in the anterior region of the mouth?
72. Which instrument is used to scale deep periodontal pockets or furcation areas?
73. Which of the following instruments is used to trim soft tissue during an oral surgery procedure?
74. When an operator is working in the labial of tooth #9, the HVE tip is held:
75. A right-handed dentist is doing a preparation on 30MO. The dental assistant places the HVE tip:
76. The angle of the bevel of the HVE tip should always be:
77. The wooden wedge is placed in the gingival embrasure area for Class II restorations to accomplish all except which of the following?
78. Which of the following techniques could be used for caries removal?
79. Which of the photographs below illustrates an orthodontic hemostat?
80. Which of the following is a thermoplastic material used to stabilize an anterior clamp?
81. Select two terms that describe the purpose and consistency of a dental cement used for the seating of a temporary crown.
82. Which type of cement must be mixed on a glass slab?
83. Which of the following materials is recommended for polishing filled hybrid composites and resin restorations?
84. Light curing:
85. The tip of the composite curing light should be held at an angle of __ degrees to the tooth.
86. Composite restorative materials are usually cured for __ seconds with a halogen curing light.
87. Hardness of a material is ranked using the:
88. Addition of very warm water to an alginate mix will cause the setting time to be:
89. A negative reproduction of the patient’s dental arch is referred to as a(n):
90. The impression automix system can be used for all but which of the following?
91. The process by which the resin material is changed from a pliable state to a hardened restoration is known as:
92. The RDAs are the levels of essential nutrients that are needed by individuals on a daily basis. RDA stands for:
93. The only nutrients that can build and repair body tissues are:
94. __________ can prevent cholesterol from oxidizing and damaging arteries.
95. A patient is to take a medication three times a day. The prescription will indicate to the pharmacy that it is taken:
96. If the signature line on a prescription states 1 tab QID prn pain, it indicates that the patient would take the medication:
97. The eating disorder that can easily be recognized in the dental office by severe wear on the lingual surface of the teeth caused by stomach acid from repeated vomiting is:
98. Inflammation of the supporting tissues of the teeth that begins with __________ can progress into the connective tissue and alveolar bone that supports the teeth and become _______________.
99. MyPyramid, formerly known as the Food Guide Pyramid, is an outline of what to eat each day. The food group represented by the second smallest section on the pyramid is:
100. __________ are found mainly in fruits, grains, and vegetables, and ___________ are found in processed foods such as jelly, bread, crackers, and cookies.
101. Subgingival calculus occurs ___________ the gingival margin and can be __________ in color because of subgingival bleeding.
102. The “A” in the ABCDs of basic life support stands for:
103. A patient who displays symptoms of intermittent blinking, mouth movements, a blank stare, and nonresponsiveness to surroundings may be displaying symptoms of:
104. In which of the following procedures could the patient be placed in an upright position?
105. Supragingival calculus is found on the __________ of the teeth above the margin of the ________.
106. Subgingival calculus occurs ___________ the gingival margin and can be __________ in color because of subgingival bleeding.
107. The most common indication for placing pit and fissure sealants would include which of the following tooth characteristics?
108. What step should the dental assistant take before applying topical fluoride?
109. Which microorganism must be present for caries formation to begin?
110. Which energy nutrients come from plant sources?
111. A patient has the following amalgam restorations: 29MO, 30MOD, 31DO, and 32O. The fee for each surface is $115.What is the fee for services rendered?
112. Consent is:
113. A dentist retires to another state and closes the practice. The entire staff is released from employment, and the records remain in the office, but the patients are not notified of the dentist’s retirement. Failure to notify the patients of the changes in the practice is called: