1. The position of the body standing erect with the feet together and the arms hanging at the sides with the palms facing forward is referred to as the __________ position.
2. In the illustration shown, Dr. Curtis was assisted by Debbie May Ross to complete operative treatment for this patient. What required data are missing from the chart?
3. The examination technique in which the examiner uses his or her fingers to feel for size, texture, and consistency of hard and soft tissue is called:
4. Which type of consent is given when a patient enters a dentist’s office?
5. Consent is:
6. A patient’s chart that denotes a congenital absence of some or all of the teeth would indicate:
7. The tooth-numbering system that begins with the maxillary right third molar as tooth #1 and ends with the mandibular right third molar as tooth #32 is the __________ system.
8. An abbreviation used in the progress notes or chart to indicate a mesioocclusobuccal restoration is:
9. A developmental abnormality characterized by the complete bonding of two adjacent teeth caused by irregular growth is:
10. A(n) __________tooth is any tooth that is prevented from reaching its normal position in the mouth by tissue, bone, or another tooth.
11. An oral habit consisting of involuntary gnashing, grinding, and clenching of the teeth is:
12. A horizontal or transverse plane divides the body into:
13. The cells associated with bone formation are known as:
14. The air/water syringe should be flushed for __________at the beginning and end of each day.
15. One of the functions of the paranasal sinuses is to:
16. The air/water syringe should be flushed for at least __________between patients.
17. Which zone corresponds to the 4 o’clock to 7 o’clock region?
18. A 10-year-old patient would likely have which of the following teeth?
a. permanent mandibular central and lateral incisors, primary second molars, permanent mandibular canines, and permanent first molars
b. permanent mandibular central and lateral incisors, permanent first and second premolars, primary second molars, and permanent first molars
c. primary mandibular central and lateral incisors, primary second molars, permanent canines, and permanent first molars
d. permanent mandibular canines, primary central and lateral incisors, primary second molars, and permanent first molars
19. What is the average range of the body’s oral resting temperature?
20. In dentistry the acronym HVE represents:
21. The primary step in preventing a medical emergency is to be certain the patient has __________ before treatment is begun.
22. What are the symptoms a patient would display when experiencing a cerebrovascular accident?
23. The most current adult basic life support protocol (CAB) is an acronym for:
24. The most frequently used substance in a medical emergency is:
25. The leading cause of heart attack is:
26. Which of the following is precipitated by stress and anxiety; may manifest in rapid, shallow breathing, lightheadedness, a rapid heartbeat, and a panic-stricken appearance; and is treated by having the patient breathe into a paper bag or cupped hands?
27. While you are providing dental treatment for a patient in her third trimester of pregnancy, the patient suddenly feels dizzy and short of breath. How should the patient be repositioned in the dental chair?
28. To ensure that a medical emergency is observed immediately, it is important for the dental assistant to:
29. What are the symptoms a patient would display when experiencing hypoglycemia?
30. In relation to ergonomics in a dental business office, there are how many classifications of motion?
31. The distance between the operator’s face and the patient’s oral cavity should be approximately __________ inches.
32. While positioned in the dental assisting stool, the dental assistant should rest his or her feet:
33. Which of the following medical conditions is considered a contraindication for nitrous oxide analgesia?
34. Motion economy is the concept that encourages the dental health care worker to:
35. Which of the following instruments would be found on a prophylaxis tray setup?
36. The lowest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs is:
37. Which of the following should be done if the patient has thick, heavy saliva that adheres to the prophylaxis cup during the polishing procedure?
38. Plaster of Paris and dental stone are examples of:
39. The portion of a bridge that replaces the missing tooth is called a(n):
40. Which of the following instruments would be used to measure the depth of the gingival sulcus?
41. Which of the following instruments is used to scale an area specific deep periodontal pocket?
42. The HVE system is used:
43. Which of the following instruments can be used to invert the rubber dam?
44. If treatment is to be performed on tooth #13, the clamp is placed on which tooth?
45. You are assisting a right-handed operator in a procedure performed on the patient’s left side. The HVE tip and A/W syringe are being used. The operator signals for a transfer. You must:
46. Which of the following is the correct statement regarding the seating position of the operator?
47. When placing the amalgam into the preparation for a 31DO restoration, the first increment should be placed into the:
48. Which of the following instruments would be used to grasp tissue or bone fragments during a surgical procedure?
49. Which of the following is the common choice in providing for retention in a cavity preparation?
50. What type of matrix is used for an anterior esthetic restoration?
51. When placing a composite restoration on the buccal cervical of tooth #30, which is the choice of matrix?
52. The most common form of anesthesia used in operative dentistry is:
53. For dental professionals, the safest allowable amount of N2O is _____ parts per million.
54. Which of the following medical conditions is a contraindication to using a vasoconstrictor in the local anesthesia during operative treatment?
55. __________ is frequently used on the mandibular teeth and is injected near a major nerve that anesthetizes the entire area served by that nerve branch.
56. Nitrous oxide oxygen administration always begins and ends with:
57. When there is not enough teeth structure to hold a prosthetic crown, a _____ is used to aid in retention.
58. The tray setup in the photograph is used to:
59. To control swelling after a surgical procedure, the patient should be instructed to:
60. The painful condition that can result from the premature loss of a blood clot after a tooth extraction is known as:
61. It may take ____________ to complete a dental implant procedure.
62. A metal frame that is placed under the periosteum and on top of the bone is called a(n):
63. The natural rubber material used to obturate the pulp canal after treatment is completed is called:
64. In this photograph, which instrument is a barbed broach?
65. A common solution used for irrigation during the debridement procedure in endodontic treatment is:
66. The incisional periodontal surgical procedure that does not remove tissues but pushes away the underlying tooth roots and alveolar bone is known as:
67. According to recent studies, periodontal disease is associated with an increased risk of developing which of the following conditions?
68. The __________ is an instrument that resembles a large spoon and is used to debride the interior of the socket to remove diseased tissue and abscesses.
69. From the instruments shown here, select the curette.
70. Coronal polishing is a technique used to remove__________ from tooth surfaces.
71. What terms are used to classify stain by location?
72. The purpose of using disclosing solution is to __________
73. The first step in placing dental sealants is to __________ the surface.
74. Enamel that has been etched has the appearance of being:
75. Which of the following medical emergencies would be treated with a bronchodilator?
76. The isolation of multiple anterior teeth requires the dental dam be placed ____________.
77. During a dental procedure, the dental assistant’s stool is _____ the operator’s stool.
78. Gingival retraction cord is placed _____ the crown preparation is completed and is removed _______ the final impression is taken.
79. A ________ is an orthodontic __________ that is a custom appliance made of rubber or pliable acrylic that fits over the patient’s dentition after orthodontic treatment.
80. This tray setup is for:
81. Instrument “A” in the photograph is used to:
82. A(n) __________ is used to provide interproximal space for inserting an orthodontic band.
83. Which of the following is a rotary device used with discs or wheels?
84. When instructing a patient about treatment for angular cheilitis, where would the dental assistant tell the patient to place the topical antibiotic?
85. When describing a superficial infection caused by a yeast-like fungus to a patient, what would you call this condition?
86. Which instrument would be used to remove the right mandibular first molar?
87. Which instrument would be used to remove the right maxillary second molar?
88. Which of the following instruments would be used to remove a metal matrix band after carving an amalgam restoration?
89. When a tooth is avulsed, it has:
90. An automated external defibrillator (AED) is used for what medical emergency?
91. One of the characteristics that allows gold to be one of the most compatible restorative materials in the oral environment is the ability to:
92. A dental restorative material that is applied to a tooth or teeth while the material is pliable and can be adapted, carved, and finished is classified as:
93. Which of these would have the least dimensional stability?
94. The conventional or traditional composites, which contain the largest filler particles and provide the greatest strength, are known as:
95. If a light-bodied impression catalyst is mixed with a heavy-bodied impression base, the resultant mix might:
96. Addition of cold water to an alginate mix will cause the setting time to be:
97. Select two terms that describe the purpose and consistency of a dental cement used for the final seating of a porcelain fused-to-metal crown.
98. Which of the following is a noble metal?
99. The purpose of calcium hydroxide in a cavity preparation is to:
100. The advantage of using a glass ionomer as a restorative material is that it:
101. A custom tray is constructed to fit the mouth of a specific patient and is used to __________, _______, and __________.
102. Which form of gypsum product is commonly used for making diagnostic models?
103. When taking impressions, the next step after seating the patient and placing the patient napkin is to:
104. Which of the following instruments is used to cut soft tissue during a tooth extraction?
105. Vital information on a registration form includes the __________ of the person responsible for the account.
106. Financial arrangements for dental treatment should be made:
107. __________ is the amount the dental assistant takes home after all deductions are made.
108. ________ is another name for the Social Security funds deducted from an employee’s pay.
109. Which of these is an expendable item used in the dental office?/>
Only gold members can continue reading. Log In or Register