1. Take impression of tooth being restored before tooth is prepared. Impression material used depends on how long the tooth will be in a temporary provisional.
2. For a second time, try in the impression to ensure the impression seats properly prior to dispensing acrylic material.
3. Dispense a small amount of acrylic on tray or gauze square, and then continue to dispense acrylic material into the portion of the impression where the tooth was prepared. Ensure tooth is filled to the brim or the margin of the prepared tooth.
4. Reseat impression intraorally with acrylic material in it. Allow impression to remain seated until the small bit of material on tray or gauze square is set.
7. Remove flash from margin of provisional and reseat to ensure provisional covers prepared tooth and interproximal contact areas are sufficient.
From Hatrick, Eakle, and Bird, 2011.