Gum (Periodontal) Disease
What is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal (PERRY-o-DON-tal) disease — also called gum disease — is an infection and inflammation that affects the tissues and bone that support your teeth.
Warning Signs of Gum Disease
• gums that bleed when you brush or floss
• gums that are red, swollen, puffy, or tender
• gums that no longer hug your teeth tightly
• bad breath that doesn’t go away
• pus between your teeth and gums
• feeling that your teeth are loose
• a change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
• a change in the way your partial dentures fit
Image ©Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
You may notice one or some of these warning signs, or you may not notice any warning signs at all.