1. Which intraosseous cyst occurs around the crown of an unerupted tooth?
2. Which condition occurs when the cementum or dentin of a tooth fuses with the surrounding alveolar bone?
3. Aphthous ulcers typically occur in all of these sites EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
4. Which bluish-gray lesion may appear as a radiopaque area on a dental image?
5. Pericoronitis occurs most commonly in which location?
6. There are several types of candidiasis, including erythematous candidiasis and denture candidiasis. Regardless of the type, all forms must be treated with antibiotics.
7. Enamel hypoplasia is caused by ameloblast formation of too much enamel. Enamel hypocalcification occurs when there is too little enamel formation.
8. Which lesion may be associated with hormonal changes?
9. Which response is NOT a sign or implication of a local inflammation?
10. Cross-reactive (C-reactive) protein is produced in the
11. Bulimia is often associated with which oral condition?
12. Aspirin burn will appear
13. The dental hygienist has just done an in-service presentation to the nurses’ aides at the nursing home, and one of the nurses’ aides calls and states to the office that she just noticed a hard lump on the roof of the mouth of one of the residents, and although it does not hurt, she is worried that it might be cancer, since the resident is a smoker. What is the MOST likely clinical diagnosis?
14. Crack cocaine use may exhibit all clinical findings EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
15. Traumatic ulcers are usually diagnosed through which diagnostic procedure?
16. What is the BEST method of diagnosis of linea alba?
17. Nicotine stomatitis first appears clinically as a/an
18. Actinic cheilitis is only caused by
19. Necrotizing sialometaplasia is clinically characterized by
20. Pyogenic granuloma is associated with
21. Which drug does NOT cause gingival enlargement?
22. Chronic hyperplastic pulpitis is seen clinically
23. Which does NOT describe the characteristics of a radicular cyst?
24. The radicular cyst will have a similar radiographic appearance to all of these pathologies EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
25. Which recurrent aphthous ulcer occurs most commonly?
26. What is another term for hives?
27. All are characteristics of lichen planus EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
28. A triad of symptoms—joint pain, urethritis, and conjunctivitis—are associated with which condition?
29. Patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) may require modifications to dental hygiene treatment EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
30. Acantholysis occurs in:
31. Oral and genital ulcers and ocular inflammation are characteristics of which condition?
32. Which condition is a bacterial skin infection?
33. Strawberry tongue is associated with which condition?
34. Which is the MOST characteristic clinical feature of herpes zoster?
35. Which condition is NOT associated with tuberculosis?
36. Actinomycosis is caused by a/an
37. Syphilis is caused by
38. An operculum contributes to which condition?
39. Which condition is MOST often associated with loss of vascularity in bone?
40. Candidiasis is an overgrowth of a
41. Clinically, pseudomembranous candidiasis is described as
42. The MOST common type of candidiasis affecting the oral mucosa is
43. Types 16 and 18 of human papillomavirus (HPV) have been specifically linked to anal, cervical, vulvar, and oropharyngeal cancers. HPV types 6 and 11, which cause condyloma acuminatum, are also considered oncogenic viruses.
44. What is the primary feature that distinguishes herpes simplex 1 from herpes zoster?
45. Varicella-zoster-virus (VZV) causes chickenpox and what other disease?
46. A negative test for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) indicates that a person is free of HIV. This is because antibodies are produced within days of exposure to HIV.
47. Hairy leukoplakia is caused by which virus?
48. Characteristics of ankyloglossia include all EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
49. All are examples of hypersensitivity reactions involving antibodies EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
50. Which type of cyst develops in place of a tooth?
51. The type of immunity received after the full series of immunizations against hepatitis B is called
52. Which cyst often appears as a heart-shaped radiolucency?
53. Which cyst does NOT have alveolar bone involvement?
54. Which cyst is filled with salivary gland tissue?
55. The most common supernumerary tooth is the
56. The enamel pearl is
57. Enamel hypoplasia may result from all conditions EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
58. Autosomes are
59. The difference between primitive germ cells and mature germ cells is
60. Which is NOT associated with trisomy 21?
61. Most cases of Turner syndrome result from
62. Which is the MOST important consideration in the treatment of a dental hygiene patient with cyclic neutropenia?
63. All conditions have an autosomal–dominant trait EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
64. Progressive bilateral facial swelling is the first clinical manifestation in which autosomal–dominant condition?
65. Which characteristic is NOT a major feature in osteogenesis imperfecta?
66. Multiple cysts of the jaws are associated with which condition?
67. For which component of Gardner syndrome would a medical referral be recommended?
68. Multiple capillary dilations of skin and the mucous membrane are seen in which genetic condition?
69. In which condition do intestinal polyps most frequently undergo malignant transformation?
70. The autosomal–dominant, “pitted variety” of amelogenesis imperfecta is called
71. All are characteristics of hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
72. A lesion that has a stemlike base is described as being
73. The clinical term used to describe a red lesion with unknown cause is a(an)
74. Which condition is frequently observed radiographically as a radiolucent scalloping around the roots of teeth?
75. The dental hygienist typically uses the following types of diagnostic tools when collecting clinical data EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
76. Which condition is NOT diagnosed by clinical diagnosis alone?
77. All conditions are thought to be immunologically related EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
78. Pituitary adenoma may cause
79. A significant clinical finding in Addison disease is
80. Which is NOT an etiologic factor in iron deficiency anemia?
81. Pernicious anemia is a deficiency in vitamin
82. Which condition results from a chronic decrease in neutrophils?
83. A decrease in neutrophils is termed
84. Which drug is associated with osteonecrosis of the jaws?
85. Which drug is NOT a calcium channel blocker?
86. Sickle cell anemia occurs MOST commonly in which ethnic group?
87. Which skin condition may be associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus?
88. Which severe, progressive autoimmune disease affecting skin and mucous membranes is characterized by a positive Nikolsky sign?
89. Bence-Jones proteins are found in the urine of patients with
90. Neoplasia is defined as an abnormal, uncontrolled proliferation of cells. Neoplasms may be either benign or malignant.
91. Raynaud phenomenon is characterized by all EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
92. Which malignant skin tumor has the BEST prognosis?
93. Which is NOT a characteristic feature of ameloblastoma?
94. An adenomatoid odontogenic tumor (AOT) often simulates which cyst?
95. Pain is a frequent symptom of which lesion?
96. All conditions may be found on the tongue EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
97. The MOST common location of intraoral Kaposi sarcoma is the
Only gold members can continue reading. Log In